Emailing pdf files
When you buy our software, HomeGauge gives you 3 months free of our HomeGauge Services. It has been our experience that after those 3 months over 90% (9 out of 10) of the inspectors that tried the HomeGauge Services, buy them. The HomeGauge Services will make you more money because it gives you “Standout Status” over your competitors. If you also need a website, our Website Service may be just what you need.
For those new to computers, PDF is a file format that you will send to your agent or customer if you don’t upload the report and send them a link. However, there are some serious problems with pdf files:
- PDF’s are big, bulky files and can be a megabyte or several megabytes in file size if pictures are included.
- PDF’s are attachments and that makes them scary because viruses are often sent in the form attachments.
- People are getting spammed excessively and a PDF attachment can sometimes be rejected by real estate offices through their mail filter simply because it’s an attachment.
- PDF’s are aggravating to scroll through as they use a viewer that's clunky at best.
- Some people feel that PDF files are secure because there is not an edit function in the Acrobat reader. This is a false sense of security because the person might have the full version of Acrobat that allows editing of the files.
- Acrobat also has a feature that allows a person to password protect a PDF file but this can also be broken with available “Password Recovery Tools”.
- PDF’s are sent by most every inspection company out there that is not using HomeGauge software because the software that the inspector uses can only turn the report into a PDF. HomeGauge users can upload their report and never have to use a PDF file.
- PDF files require download time by customers and agents that can be grueling to wait for, especially on dial up.
- Many Home Buyers still use free email services such as Hotmail, Juno, Yahoo etc., that are limited in mail size or mail storage. Their mailbox may be full of junk mail and this big PDF file may not get through because it exceeds their email storage limit. Meanwhile, they call up the agent because you haven’t sent it to them yet, but you explain you have. All this can occur while you are out doing an inspection and urgency requires you to do something because the agent and buyer have waited until the last moment according to their time to get back with the seller. Now you are scrambling to get them a copy of the report. You look bad and it wasn’t your fault.
- More importantly, your agent usually checks her email at work to view the PDF report. Then she goes home for the day. The buyer comes home from work and downloads the big PDF of the report and notices a problem the inspector found on the inspection. She calls the agent at home and is alarmed. The agent can’t review the report as easily as she wanted because the report is in a PDF stuck on her computer at work.
- Real estate agents have to download a PDF (time), then forward copies to other parties involved (more time waiting for the huge file to send to each party).
This problem could have been avoided. Enter HomeGauge Services. The agent is not limited to a single computer. The agent could be on any computer that has internet connectivity and enter in her username and password, either at the HomeGauge.com website (or we can put the sign in link on your own website) and instantly have access to the report. The agent could be on vacation and get to that report on the hotel’s public computer. Now that is service!
With HomeGauge Services you can:
Send a link and a password that is a lightweight letter that goes through spam filters easily. Clients/agents click on the link and it takes them to a sign in. This sign in can be at your name.com, or it will take them to HomeGauge. Either way, they sign in and there is the report. They can print it, view it, or come back later to look at it. Its simple and easy.
Our HomeGauge Services are so powerful that I am willing to make a promise: If you are used to printing on site, then continue, but also get their email. Tell them you’ll continue to print for them but you just want them to see how easy it is to get their report online. After a few inspections, your agent will tell you to stop printing and just email the link. It works and has worked over and over for many inspectors. It will work for you!