TikTok may be a popular place for viral dance videos and funny clips, but it’s much more than that; brands and businesses are realizing TikTok’s potential for marketing and interacting with potential customers online.
The sheer number of people on the platform should be a good motivator to join the fun, but there are more reasons than that to treat TikTok as a new place to market your skills and expertise. As a home inspector, your business is perfectly suited for TikTok.
In this post, we’ll show you why you should join TikTok and how to do it. Then, we’ll cover some more advanced tips for creating content and building an audience.
Let’s get started!
Why get on TikTok?
Unlike other social media platforms, like Facebook or Instagram, TikTok is a relatively easy place for smaller accounts to go viral.
TikTok uses a still-slightly-mysterious algorithm to curate videos for users based on what it sees as their preferences. But however it does work, TikTok’s algorithm seems to favor smaller voices much better than other platforms do.
You don’t need a high production budget or expensive equipment, either. TikTok isn’t a formal platform. All you need for a vibrant and successful TikTok presence is a smartphone camera and a little creativity.
In fact, TikTok users reward those who are authentic and use their platform to showcase their own personality — no stuffy marketing tactics or fancy gimmicks here!
TikTok is a place for creators to experiment, act playful, and reveal their unique personalities. Be yourself, be quirky and relatable, and you’ll quickly build a rapport and trust with your audience.
How to get started with Tiktok
If you haven’t already created a TikTok account, it can be a bit overwhelming to get started — but the platform is actually very user-friendly.
Users scroll through short video clips that are curated by TikTok’s algorithm. The more time you spend using the app, the more the videos that appear on your “For You” page will become tailored to your interests (such as cooking, politics, pranks, or home improvement).
Like other social media platforms, users can engage with the community through liking and commenting on each others’ posts. Creators and users can also follow each other to see their posts more regularly.
Sign up for an account
TikTok automatically assigns you a username made of a random string of numbers, so be sure to customize your username the way you want it.
Tap the “Edit Profile” option to add a profile picture (it’s best to use either your business logo or a personal headshot).
Fill in your bio with a few helpful details about your business, especially regarding your specializations and location. Link to your website, YouTube channel, or business Instagram account if relevant. You’re limited to 80 characters, so be sure to keep your bio concise.
How to make a TikTok video
Once your account is set up, you’re ready to post your first TikTok video! Hit the black plus button at the bottom of your profile screen to get started.
You have several options to customize your video to your tastes:
- Select between 15 or 60 seconds at the bottom of your screen to control the video length.
- Choose the Sounds button at the top of the screen to pick a song or sound effect to play over your video.
- Along the right side of your screen, you can select from several video effects:
- Flip: Switch to the selfie camera
- Speed: Control the recording speed
- Beauty: The camera can auto-adjust your image to smooth out your skin tone and give you a little glow
- Filters: Select from different video filter options
- Timer: Set a countdown to record and create video cuts in real-time
- Hit the Effects button (to the left of the red record button) to add visual effects, including animated overlays and green screen effects.
- Select the Upload button (to the right of the red record button) to upload a video you already recorded.
After you’ve recorded your video, use the Post screen to tweak the publication settings. Make sure to add a description and related hashtags to your video for maximum exposure.
If you like, you can also add links, mention your connections, choose visibility options, and save the video to a specific album from this screen. You also have the option to share the video automatically to other platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp.
Hit Post to share immediately, or select Drafts to save the video for later.
Content ideas for home inspectors on TikTok
So now you know the technical basics of setting up an account and creating a video on TikTok. But how do you cultivate a creative, engaging TikTok presence that’s sustainable — especially considering your busy schedule as a working professional?
You’re in luck: one of the great draws of TikTok is how easy it is to create content quickly. The videos are short (between 15 and 60 seconds) — and audiences care about relatability and personality more than high-level production, so you don’t need to spend hours editing your videos.
Before you start creating content, spend a little while getting a feel for TikTok’s unique style. Scroll through the content curated for you and watch out for the kinds of videos that appeal to you. Hit the magnifying glass button in the bottom menu to explore trending videos and hashtags on the Discover page.
Once you’re ready to start developing a content schedule, here are a few tips specific to home inspectors to get you started:
- Demonstrate common problems or issues in your field. Establish your expert authority by educating viewers on home repair and maintenance issues.
- Show funny or weird things you see during inspections. TikTok users appreciate humor, so snap a quick video pointing out that rodent you spotted hiding in the rafters or the plastic-wrapped plumbing you can’t believe is real.
- Showcase your stunning drone footage! Be sure to get permission from clients to show a video of their property, though.
- Jump on board with existing trends. TikTok is full of hashtag challenges, trending dances, viral songs, and duets — so find content that speaks to you and make it your own!
- If you’ve got a pet, make it your mascot. If you want your stuff to go viral, one of the sure-fire ways to appeal to TikTok’s younger users is to show off your cute and cuddly animals!
How home inspectors can build a following on TikTok
As a professional using TikTok for your business, your goal should be to create engaging content that builds an audience. Choose your angle and social media personality carefully, then stick to that.
Are you sharing your journey as a beginner home inspector? Or perhaps you’re a seasoned expert educating your audience on home repair and insider tips. Or maybe you specialize in astounding drone footage overlaid with fun music or funny voiceover narration.
Whatever your unique angle, embrace it and make it yours! The more consistent your content is, the easier it will be for you to build a loyal and engaged audience. The secret to creating popular content on TikTok comes down to:
- Creating intentional content each time. Remember to ask yourself: what value is this video providing to your audience? Does it fit my authentic personality and angle?
- Coming up with a content plan that works with your schedule. You might have heard that you need to create as much content as you possibly can. But remember: it’s all about quality over quantity, whether that means posting a video per day or one per week.
- Using hashtags. Use hashtags that match the content of your videos to get your content seen by more people who are interested in those topics. Consider making occasional videos that match up with trending hashtags, if it will interest your audience.
- Engaging with others. Friend other accounts and like and comment on other users’ videos, especially in the real estate and construction niches. Respond to comments on your own posts as well.
TikTok: Not just for teens anymore
TikTok has become more than just a place for teens and tweens to share witty video clips; it’s a booming venue for brands to market themselves and interact with potential customers.
And for a busy home inspector, social media platforms like Tiktok are an excellent tool in your marketing belt. It’s free to use, accessible, and it has vast organic reach. By creating authentic videos showcasing your unique personality and expertise, you can build a genuine following that will boost your business’s exposure.
A TikTok presence can give you an accessible way to get your brand seen by hundreds of eyes every day — and build organic traffic to your website. What’s not to love?